Braces are a rite of passage for most teenagers — but even if you missed the boat in high school, it’s never too late to straighten your teeth thanks to options in adult orthodontics. Six Month Smiles is one solution that can be great for adults and teens alike.
Six Month Smiles works using clear and tooth-colored brackets and wires which quickly shift the teeth that show when you smile. Because it focuses on the “Social Six,” or the teeth that show, it’s more of a cosmetic solution rather than a true orthodontic overhaul.
There are some pros and cons we want our patients to be aware of when they are considering Six Month Smiles. It’s a great option, but it’s not for everyone! Keep reading to learn what you need to know about accelerated orthodontics, including whether or not the approach could be right for you.
Pros of Six Month Smiles
Six Month Smiles is effective for many patients because it’s fast, discreet, affordable, and can produce amazing results.
The pros include…
- Accelerated orthodontics work in a single phase: moving your tooth’s root and its crown at the same time. Traditional orthodontics move each separately, which adds significant time to the total treatment.
- Six Month Smiles is made out of tooth-colored and translucent materials, which means it’s a far more discreet option than conventional metal braces.
- Because the treatment is completed in half the time (or less) of traditional braces, Six Month Smiles is often more affordable than other options.
- By focusing on the teeth that show when you smile, Six Month Smiles allows you to transform the overall appearance of your teeth without having to invest lots of time or money in the process.
Things to Consider
Despite the significant advantages of Six Month Smiles, this treatment is not the right solution for all patients. There’s no one-size-fits-all when it comes to dentistry, after all!
Some of the potential cons of Six Month Smiles include:
- Six Month Smiles cannot make improvements to the bite. People with an overbite, underbite, or crossbite will not be served by this cosmetic orthodontic treatment.
- Patients must be older than 16 to get the Six Month Smiles treatment, which leaves out a big segment of patients who need orthodontics.
- Metal brackets and wires may be difficult to maneuver around for proper cleaning. People who wear braces of any kind are often at a higher risk of developing cavities or gum disease.
To find out whether or not your teeth can be realigned with Six Month Smiles, please don’t hesitate to get in touch with your dentist. If this accelerated option is right for you, that’s great news — we look forward to getting started right away!
About the Author
Dr. Brian Fann knows there’s power in a beautiful, functional smile, and that’s why he’s passionate about providing solutions like Six Month Smiles for patients in and around Columbia. To learn more about this orthodontic option, you are invited to contact us at 931-381-6880.