A smile without all its teeth is like a car without all its parts — it just doesn’t work. After tooth loss, people who are eligible for dental implants in Columbia should strongly consider this comprehensive replacement option. It’s the only method that gives you back your missing tooth as well as its root, which helps you speak, eat, and smile with total confidence.
Many adults are great candidates for dental implants. If you are in good oral and overall health and your tooth loss is recent, you probably are, too. Keep reading to learn more about the benefits and procedure for dental implants to help decide whether or not they are right for you.
Dental Implants: An Overview
Dental implants are titanium posts that act as prosthetic roots that support a single crown, bridge, or complete denture. The procedure for dental implants is completed in two phases: implantation and restoration.
Your dentist places each dental implant beneath the gum line in an initial surgical procedure. Over a period of four to six months, the titanium post promotes bone growth between the implant post and jaw and the dental implant becomes one with the jaw. It’s science at its best!
Once this process, called osseointegration, is complete, the prosthetic tooth can be affixed on top in a follow-up appointment.
Benefits of Dental Implants
Compared to non implant-retained options in tooth replacement, dental implants offer a host of benefits. We’ll list just a few of the considerable advantages of dental implants below.
- Implants mimic the tooth structure for a more natural look and feel.
- Dental implants have a success rate of over 98%, according to the American Association of Endodontists.
- By integrating with the bone tissue, dental implants support the jaw and promote better oral and overall health.
- A sturdy tooth replacement supports a balanced, nutritious diet.
- Previous bite misalignments can be corrected with dental implants.
- Dental implants can be expected to last a lifetime after successful integration.
The cost of dental implants varies from patient to patient. Some of the most significant factors influencing implant pricing include:
- How many implants are being placed
- Where in the jaw they are located
- The health of your jawbone, and whether or not you need to have a bone graft before dental implant placement
So… Are Dental Implants Right for You?
Considering the procedure for dental implants, their benefits, and what you can expect to budget for will help you determine whether or not this tooth replacement method is right for you. But the only way to know for sure is to visit a trusted implant dentist! If you are eligible for the procedure, that’s great news. You’re just months away from a healthy, functioning, and beautiful smile.
About the Author
Dr. Brian Fann has been a source of exceptional dental care since 2001. He offers a wide range of services, including dental implants. To learn more about implant dentistry or to schedule an appointment with your dentist in Columbia, you are invited to contact The Art of Dentistry at 931-381-6880.